Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Module 4 - Abstraction

A) Abstraction is simplifying something that we know then looking at it from a different perspective in order to learn and create more ideas about it.

B) The specific abstraction I chose was storytelling.  In musical theater, the story line can be lost to spectacle.  When we reflect on shows after watching them, we often discuss the shiny, sequined costumes, the incredible voices of the leading actors, or the fireworks, fog, and magic of special effects.  When the show becomes more about the visual presentation than the story and message of the words on the page, then it is a flop.  Though audiences are stunned by these theatrical elements, they are left feeling empty and unsatisfied (whether cognizant of it or not) from the lack of connection with the characters.  I chose this abstraction because it is very important to every member of my field. Whether designing lights, building costumes, or composing music, the production team can use the words of the writer to ground their work in truth and sincerity.  The costumes, for example, may be flashy, but they can also move the plot forward and assist the words on the page.

For my first abstraction, I took a picture of a celebration on the Cheonggyecheon Stream near City Hall in Seoul.  The Cheonggyecheon Stream is 20 feet below road level, but still smack in the middle of the busiest roadway in Seoul.  Families, couples, and friends frequent the Cheonggycheon Stream because of its relaxing atmosphere and rushing waters that drown out the buzz of Seoul.  I stumbled upon a festival this past week.  I did not know what the people were celebrating, but I didn’t need to.  I thought instantly of the idea of storytelling.  I realized that every celebration of our history is now a story; something that we carry with us as part of our heritage and culture.  The blue umbrellas, lovely autumn day, and the mother gazing on at her two children splashing in the water made me smile as I saw the power of a story presented in this new light.


For my second abstraction, I made a diagram of out of Korean currency constructed in the shape of a tree.  The larger coins are the trunk, the foundation of the story, from which many, many (important) branches can be built.  However, though the branches may grow and stretch farther from the base, the family will always be connected through these foundational fibers.  I used coins rather than buttons, M&Ms, etc, because I wanted to present an irony of storytelling. A story, no matter how far from the tree, will always be priceless.



C) Often times, I get caught up in the spectacle of musical theater. The athleticism of the dances, the excitement in the vocals, and consumption with what I look like.  As we have learned through the reading, only appealing to one sense is an incredibly weak presentation of creativity, and certainly not an influential one.  I realize that abstractions must be realized and pondered before art is created. Sometimes one must create art to learn how to abstract it.  However, the reason for the creativity is always immensely deep.  If an actor, singer, musician, anyone can discover this honesty in their art through abstracting it into simpler, larger concepts, relating it to themselves, juxtaposing it with prior knowledge, building and learning from these concepts, creativity will come from within – where it matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment